Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Happy 116th Birthday!!!

I thought this posted yesterday but I guess I didn't actually publish it........

Happy Birthday to Chi Omega!  116 years ago today, 5 amazing women gather together and formed the most amazing sorority out there.  I am blessed and honored to say that I am a Chi Omega sister.  This sisterhood not only introduced me to the most amazing women (and best friends) that I know, it truly provided me with a place to feel at home and to be my true self.

I do not have the typical sorority story.  I did not do formal recruitment as a freshman.  I actually had no intentions of joining a sorority.  Yes, I always knew it would be fun but I didn't think it would be for me.  However, I was fortunate enough to be very good friends with a handful of Chi O's in my early years at USF.  Not until my junior year did I decide that I would join.  And I still never did recruitment.  I got COB'd on Bid Day (after all the festivities).  I will never forget Connie asking me for my address and handing me my bid card (which I have framed).  It was the first day that I met my Big.  From that moment on, I knew in my heart that I found where I truly was meant to be.

And even though I was an older sister in my pledge class, I never once felt like I didn't belong.  It was comfortable and familiar.  Granted my parents didn't understand it (and probably don't understand it to this day) but they supported it as much as they could.  I wore my letters with pride, just as I do today as I wear my lavalier in honor of Founders Day.  I couldn't begin to fathom why I waited so long to join the best group of women I've ever met (and probably will ever meet in my life). 

Leaving my sisters and my chapter when I transfered schools was the hardest thing I've had to do.  But my sisters were there for me.  I still have a strong group of Chi Omega women in my life who I am so thankful for! 

My husband doesn't understand it but I'm okay with that.  The love I have for Chi Omega is so strong and I value all that it's given me.  It was a dream of mine to have a Legacy and I finally have her. I can't wait to share my love for Chi Omega with her.

Thank you sisters of Theta Theta.  You opened up your arms to me and embraced me for forever.  I cherish all the memories and friendships that I've made.  You helped me realize and embrace the woman I was meant to be and supported me on my journey to becoming that woman.  I don't know where I would be without all of you!

I was in college before the digital camera craze so I only have a few pictures scanned into the computer.  I have loads more in photo albums.  Here are just some of my amazing sisters:

My amazing Carnation Family!  MBS, me, MLS, MGL, and my GGL
Pics from great Chi Omega times!!!!
The Carnation Family
"Loyalty under any and all circumstances"

Happy Birthday to my little brother too!  I can't believe my baby brother is 22 already.

 Photobucket

1 comment: