Wednesday, May 23, 2012

For the love of baseball

I love baseball.
I love everything about the game.
I don't quite know when my love affair with baseball started.  I played softball for about 2 years in middle school before finding my true love (volleyball) so I had a pretty good understanding of the basic concept.  My middle school BFF was a huge Atlanta Braves fan and she rubbed off on me.  My dad's good buddy just happened to be the son of a MLB player/St Louis Cardinals coach, so we were exposed to baseball for as long as I can remember.  It was just a part of who I am.  This love just grew even more as I got older.

I followed the Braves forever. When Tampa got an MLB team, I went to the second game (which happened to be the team's first win....and a kinda date with my then "love of my life."  When I met the Hubs, he shared my love of baseball, the Rays, and the Braves.  I even impressed his dad (the biggest sports fan in history) with my ability to read a box score and that I was a wealth of baseball knowledge!  So it was something that we all bonded over.  The Hubs and I spent many nights at the Trop, watching our team lose all the time but enjoying being at the ballpark all the same.  We always have a game on TV every night (until I say I can't take another inning of baseball anymore).  I'm trying to plan trips to the Trop every chance I get.  And now that my boys are good, it makes it even better!  We've been the the first playoff game in Rays history, the first World Series game in Rays history, and we're looking forward to many more firsts for our team.  Eventually when we retire (if we ever retire) I want to have season tickets and go to every single home game.  Number one thing on my bucket list is to catch a game at every MLB stadium...yeah I'm not your typical girl.  I just can't get enough. Oh yeah, did I mention I take Fantasy Baseball very seriously???  Yeah that's me!

I'm so glad I've found someone who shares my love of the game.  It makes for so many great memories and many opportunities to share the love with our kiddos.  It's nice to be able to talk ERA and batting averages with!!!

This weekend, before I was struck down by the wicked wicked stomach bug that's wrecking our house, we caught a game against none other than the Atlanta Braves!!!  I was torn over what team to support.  The last time Atlanta was in town (years ago) I sported my ATL gear but I now have a strong loyalty to our boys here in Tampa so of course I sported my Rays gear.  But in the back of my mind, I knew no matter who won, I was coming out a winner because I just love both teams!!!  I didn't take a lot of pictures but I did get a few of the amazing Chipper Jones.  Baseball will never be the same without him in a Braves uniform!
ATL pitchers....who doesn't love boys in baseball pants?!?!?!?!
The Hubs and I taking in Atlanta's BP....I will catch a HR ball one of these days!!!
Chipper Jones....a huge reason I'm a baseball fan
He signed autographs for at least 30 minutes
I love my Atlanta boys!!!
But not as much as my Rays!!!
First pitch
I wish I could be standing in that batter's box, taking a pitch from an MLB pitcher
Hendrick is fired up about something!
I waited all afternoon for this!!! Fernando Rodney is a BEAST!!!!
I can't get enough of my baseball loving boy!!!!
Here's to a great season and a great life filled with numerous nights at the ballpark!!!!   Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. We were there, as well! Jason grew up watching The Braves as a kid before The Rays came here. We moved to FL the year Tampa got their MLB team so I've only ever liked the Rays. But my hubs is like you as to who to root for, lol. Glad you had a good time, hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an Indians fan first, and a Rays fan second. I remember when the Braves beat the Indians in the World Series in 1995 - that was right when I started getting into baseball (my parents had just taken me to my first game the year before!). Chipper Jones was playing for the Braves then, and every time I hear his name now I think, "he's STILL playing?!" lol!

    It's great that you and your hubby have that baseball bond, too! Obviously Eric and I also do a lot of baseball stuff. :) It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete