Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The curls were cut

It happened.
Emmy had her first haircut.

I tried to put off this day as long as I could.  The Hubs started talking about cutting her hair the minute it could be pulled into a ponytail.  I was horribly against it.  Then about a month ago, I took Noah to get his hair cut (boy's hair grows like a weed) and Emmy wanted Marlene to brush her hair.  So she got up in the chair, put the cape on, and let Marlene brush Em's horrible hair.  At this point, we noticed that Em's hair came to a point in the middle of her back.  Marlene said we should cut it off and make it even.  My heart sank.  Of course, I wasn't prepared for this monumental occasion (ie no camera, no ziploc bag) so we postponed it until the weekend before school.

Side note about Emmy's hair....she has the most ridiculous hair.  It is wavy/curly.  She can have perfect ringlets one minute, then the ringlets are gone and she's got waves everywhere.  I'm so jealous of her hair.  However, it is a hot mess about 95% of the time.  It gets all nappy and matted after she sleeps on it.  It takes about 15 minutes to brush it, if she'll let you.  Detangler is the only way it will brush out.  The knots that I find are crazy.  It's like a rat's nest on the back of her head.  And then, poof, it's back to beautiful curls.  It's ridiculous I tell you.  Here's photographic evidence of the crazy that is attached to my daughter's head
And the best part is, that's not even close to the worst hair Em has had.  It's just be best picture of it
I think this day bothered me more than the first day of school.  Em did amazing.  She jumped right up, got in the chair, and held still for the majority of the haircut.  I was so heartbroken as I saw those cute curls fall to the ground. Of course, I scooped them up and placed them in the ziploc bag where they will forever be cherished.  Once her haircut was over, she kept staring at herself in the mirror, playing with her hair, in true girl fashion.  I was secretly crying inside.  I couldn't get over how short her hair looked.  Now that the shock has worn off, it doesn't look that short but in the moment, I was appalled.  How could I do this to her hair?  The Hubs was ecstatic to see her haircut.  I'm over it now but wow...I never imagined I'd get so emotional over hair.  Maybe Emmy really is making me a little more girly!
She did so good!  I guess it could have been a lot worse.  
I couldn't have asked for a better experience for either of my kids.  Our hairdresser, Marlene, is amazing.  She did Noah's 1st haircut and now Em's.  She also did my 1st haircut.  She doesn't look that old, does she???  She went to high school with my parents and has been cutting our hair ever since.  She's actually the only person to ever cut my hair.  That's dedication right there!  When we lived in Orlando, I'd drive home just to get my hair done.  That's how much I love her!  She's part of the family by now.

I guess haircuts are a part of my life now for Em.  I just hope the Hubs doesn't think this means she will get a trim whenever he feels like it.  And there will be NO BANGS!!!!!
  Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. She looks great! Glad she did good! I'm dreading the day we take Carmen for her first haircut. I keep putting it off! The lady who cuts all my family's hair and has been cutting mine for the last 17 years is going to give her her first cut...when I'm ready that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so cute! What a big day! I do love her curls. :)

    ReplyDelete