Monday, March 25, 2013

2013 Season

It's no shocker that I love baseball.  I think it's been abundantly clear over the years.  I love it!  It's my go to sport.  And I'm lucky to have a husband who loves it as much as I do.  {Quick story....when we first started dating, I used to give him the box scores every morning via text. Yeah that's the cutesy type of stuff we did, not lovey dovey stuff.  I'm not a typical girl.  I'm a weird one.  I think the fact that I could read a box score and keep up with a sports conversation is what sealed the deal for his dad.  I definitely impressed him with my sports knowledge.}

With baseball season literally days away, it meant time for our annual Fantasy Baseball draft.  We've been playing for years.  At first it was just me and the Hubs.  Then we expanded to a league of 6 teams.  We have a live draft (aka everyone comes to our house and we literally go around in order and pick the players that we want on our teams.  The Hubs has always been the "Commish" of the league and he takes that role very seriously.  Every year he's gotten a little more crazy about it.  This year he went all out.  This is what he was drooling over for months:
A 6 foot tall draft board.  I mean honestly, who wouldn't want one of these monstrosities residing in their dining room for months?!?  It definitely went with the decor of our house.  I was so mad that he spent over $50 on this stupid thing.  But it was what he wanted to so I went with it.  Then these came home:
Instead of our usual, manila folder draft kits, the Hubs comes home with spiral bound draft kits.  Yes, he's out of control.  But I guess it's a better hobby than snorting coke.  So again, I went with it.  Oh I forgot to mention that he has been trying to talk strategy with me about Fantasy Baseball since October.  Yes. October.  The season hadn't even ended and the boy wants to talk draft picks?  He lost his damn mind.  In retrospect, I probably should have thought about a strategy a few days before the draft instead of winging it like I did.  I abandoned my usual strategy of drafting heavy pitching early and went with a more defensive approach.  We'll see if it pays off in the end.  I'm the defending champ and this year there's money involved.  I'm totally in it to win it.

I'm sure you're wondering how that monstrosity of a draft board ended up.  After a slight mishap with the velcro (yep I'm calling you out Hubs...you eff'd it up), I'm here, eating my words.  It was awesome.  It was nice to see all the drafted players up in one place.  And it was kinda pretty with all the colors.  Everyone liked it so much that they stood staring at it for about 30 minutes after we finished.  Now I wish I took a pic of that.
I love the filter on this one....thank you IG!
 All in all, the draft was a huge success.  We'll see how long the draft board sits in my dining room though.  There was talk of shared custody of it between all the teams.  There was also talk of weekly board updates including all the player changes.  I don't think the Hubs will keep up with that one though.
Please tell me I'm not the only crazy one who lives for baseball and plays Fantasy Baseball!  Who's your favorite team?

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. that's a little crazy, but my husband and daughter gather around FLRunners.com and see how fast all the high school girls can run.

    ReplyDelete